Matt and I are the proud owners of a Chevy Cavalier. It is silver and way nice! :) This is pretty much the first time that Matt and I have had 2 reliable cars since we've been married. We held off as long as we could, but I have to be able to drive the kids to school now that it's getting colder and their doctor's appointments and all that other fun stuff you need a car to do.
Our new car is silver, it has alloy wheels, XM radio, and it gets really good gas mileage. It's going to be so great to be able to drive places while Matt's at work without having to drive clear to South Provo to drop him off! The car payments aren't bad at all either! Although we're going to still try to pay it off early..
It's not that I didn't enjoy walking 3 miles a day to the boy's school dragging a 60 lb load in the wagon behind me, I actually really did.. But with the cold weather has come winter colds and they seem to just be cycling through our whole family. I cannot walk at the expense of my kids' health, and the carpool situation in the ward is harder with 2 kids to haul vs. last year when it was just Thomas. So everyday that one of the little ones (or me for that matter) was sick, it was sending my kids to school with someone on their way to Grovecrest in the morning and crossing my fingers I'd find them a way home by the end of the day and then calling Thomas' teacher and letting him know who he would be riding home with. So I bet you can imagine the stress that this arrangement relieves. :o)
(This is just a random picture of one that looks just like ours that I pulled off the internet, Matt has ours at work so I can't take a picture of it at the moment.)
We have yet to name him/her yet though, so any suggestions would be welcomed.
I just realized that I have never blogged about our van either, since we got it the day that I came home from the hospital the first time from having Makayla...
It's a white Chevy Venture. We rather like it. We were able to sell our other car just in time to get this one about an hour before Makayla was released from the NICU. The great thing is, we don't owe anything on it and insurance is super cheap, so it puts us in a good place. :o)
I like the storage compartment in the back and the fact that we can configure the seats pretty much however we want, but mostly I like that we don't have to strap one of our children to the roof like we would have had we not gotten this little gem.
(Again, just another random pic from the internet that I found. And yes, the van is just right outside, but I'm still in my pajamas and don't really feel much like getting up and going outside to take a picture of it given the night I had last night.. 3 words.. "Daylight Savings" and "Children" *Insert eye roll here.. Don't even get me started on daylight savings. I'm pretty sure it's a plot to torture people with young kids on fairly structured schedules.)
Interestingly enough, these vans, in this very color are more popular than I ever thought! They're everywhere now that I notice them!
In fact, there are quite a few times when we'll end up parking next to one that looks just like ours!
Which brings me to a story. But first, a confession. We rarely lock our van. I just can't imagine a burglar finding anything in there worth stealing. If anyone were to break into our van, they would find probably $3 max in spare change and a stale baggie of Cheerios from Sunday.
Apparently I'm not the only one who shares this thought process.
Once upon a time I went to Walmart to do some shopping after the kids had gone to sleep. I needed just some last minute things, a big box of wipes included as well as a case of Dr. Pepper, but just like every trip to Walmart, I had exited the store with way more than what I had planned to. I left the store, and walked to my van. I opened the back hatch and loaded all of my groceries into the back. Then I walked around and climbed into the drivers seat and upon sitting down, I saw some damage on the dashboard that kind of ticked me off. Who was this careless person that would do such a thing to our new van?? CERTAINLY not my Matthew!!! :o) Then I noticed a strange smell. I looked behind me to see if I could find the culprit and I saw 3 very foreign (empty) car seats staring back at me. Panic struck.. Not because I was in the wrong van, I could casually get out and nobody would be the wiser... It was all the groceries that I had piled into the back of it!!!
So of course, I find my van right next door, so I had the opportunity of opening up the back of this strangers van and UNPACKING all of my groceries, some of them in good sized boxes that no doubt attracted a good amount of attention, and then loading them into my van next door all while enduring REALLY funny looks from passing by strangers...
It was the most terrible experience of my life.
I couldn't help but giggle the whole time though. And also pray that the owner didn't come back before I was finished.
The whole time driving home I was looking over my shoulder half expecting a trail of police behind me and then imagining in my head a terrible experience with a taser and the headlines that were bound to be above the news article on KSL complete with a picture of my mug shot featuring road rash on my face from said tasing incident.
Oh man...
But all is well that ends well, and my criminal record is still clean. :o)
So back to the point... We have 2 cars and we're pretty excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment