Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Riley's Here!!!

First of all, sorry we haven't updated our blog for a while. Sometimes I lack motivation. :-) In our defense, we have been busy with the newest addition to the Mower family.
Introducing: Riley!Riley was born in American Fork Hospital at 1:08 AM on April 3rd.
He weighed 9 lbs. and was 19" long despite being 2 1/2 weeks early.
On the morning of April 2nd, I woke up feeling "icky" for the lack of a better word. Then at around 10:00 AM I started feeling contractions. At first I figured they were just braxton hicks contractions, even though they were regular, they always are in my pregnancies, so there is nothing to really get excited about unless they start getting stronger and closer. The only thing I can really do is try to stop them. So I put Connor down for his nap and turned Noggin on for Tommy and got him a drink and a snack and I went and lied in bed hoping to get them to stop. At around 11:00 AM they started getting quite strong, and for about an hour of resting, they still were regular. They weren't however getting any closer either so I still didn't think there was any reason to be alarmed. When Connor woke up at noon I got up and got the kids lunch and through all that the contractions were still going strong. I wasn't sure if I needed to worry at all at this point, so I tried to get ahold of my mom so I could ask for her opinion since she has obviously done this before. I couldn't get ahold of her right away, but I did get ahold of my sister and she offered to come over and take the boys while I figured out what was going on. I gladly accepted and texted Matt and told him that we were going to go in to labor and delivery to get checked out during his lunch break. He got here and off we went to the hospital. I know I was 37 weeks along, and I should have been more prepared, but we didn't have a single thing packed. I honestly didn't think he would be coming that week, so we were planning on packing on Saturday. When we got to Labor and Delivery, we were 70% effaced and dialated to a 2. They watched us for an hour and then came back and checked again and we were at a 4! So they told us that they were going to double check with the doctor, but they were pretty sure we were going to have a baby, and that they were getting our room ready!
So, from that time until about 12:30 AM nothing really exciting happened. I was however stuck at 7 cm. dialated and 80% effaced for a long time, which was where I was at when they checked me at 12:30. Then after the nurse left, I started feeling pressure and it just got worse and worse until it felt like I didn't even have an epidural! The doctor somehow heard me crying and came running in, he called the nurse to check me and the anesthesiologist to give me another dose of the epidural and when the nurse checked me, ready or not, Riley was coming!
It all happened so fast that they had to ask Matt for help since the only people there were the doctor, 1 nurse and Matt, and they were nowhere near ready since I still had a while to go last time they checked me. But at about 1:00 AM I started pushing, then after about 3 or 4 pushes, he was out! He was delivered by Dr. Hoggard whom I would like to thank Amber for sharing. He really is one of the nicest people I have ever met! Then, Matt was able to cut the cord (which was under tention when he cut it and it ended up spraying him hehehe). And then I got to hold Riley while they prepared the warmer and everything for him. Riley got a 9.9 on the Apgar scale, so he was one healthy kid!When Riley got to the nursery the found out he had more blood than what is normal, this is caused by blood going through the cord to him, then having the cord cut before the blood was able to cycle out of him. They said it wasn't too bad, Riley would just be a little red for a couple days until his body could "process" it all I guess.
Then Saturday morning we were informed that Riley had jaundice. It wasn't too bad, but they were going to give him phototherapy in the nursery for the rest of the time we were there. Which didn't turn out to be long at all, but I still missed him like crazy!
(Note that the date on our camera is wrong. :-) )It turned out that just the few hours he was under the lights just enough to bring his billirubin levels down enough that we didn't need to take some lights home with us, but we still needed to watch him to make sure that it didn't rise again. So we were able to go home!

Before Riley was born, we were concerned about Connor maybe being jealous and not liking Riley. Happily, we couldn't have been more wrong! Riley is extremely loved and has been welcomed by both of his big brothers with open arms! (Literally) They love to hold him, the trouble is getting Riley back from them once they have him! They are extremely gentle and protective of their little brother and from the looks of it, Riley loves them too!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I love the last picture! So sweet!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations! Riley is such a cutie.

Jake and Kate said...

Yay! Wow, #3! We're so happy for you! Can't wait to meet the little guy! Congrats!

Melia said...

Congrats guys glad all is will. and I know I am either a few days early or a day or so late but Happy Anniversary either way.