Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Never Smile at a Monkey

So random story...

See this picture?  It's my twitter profile picture and I giggle every time I see it.
Everyone else is probably just really confused by it.


Yep! That's me! (UGH! RUDE!!! I'M THE ONE ON THE RIGHT!!!)

See that curious little figure off to the left.. I call him Herald. I actually have no idea if Herald is even a "him" but let's just go with it. Herald is a monkey of sorts at the Hogle Zoo. As you can see, this is a picture of Herald's very ugly derriere. (No offense Herald)

This story begins not too long ago at the zoo with my dear father Tracy.  Tracy, is quite a story teller.  You never know what you can believe from that man!! He once had me completely convinced that Jet Puffed Marshmallows really were "puffed" using jets!!  He said that they load marshmallow pellets into the back of jets, and then they fly reeeeally high and release them into the atmosphere (hence the white trails coming from jets).  The altitude makes them expand into the marshmallows we know and love and soon afterwards, another plane will come along and scoop them up!!  He has also told me that helicopters were originally called "copters" but in the war, the soldiers would yell "HELL!! A COPTER!" upon sighting them and the name just stuck...
That's who we're dealing with here...

This particular trip to the zoo, my dad told me NEVER to smile at a monkey!! He said that when monkeys see your teeth, they take it as a sign of aggression.

Challenge: Accepted!  Time to pick a fight with a monkey!! :o)

So the experiment began.  Luckily it was a very quiet day at the zoo so I had some time.  My mom and I went over to "Herald" who was asleep in a tree at the back of his habitat.  I tapped on the glass. (Shhhh don't tell PETA) and I grinned at him!

He perked right up.

Interesting.

Hmmmm.....

So I full out did a super psycho "heaven forbid my face ever gets stuck this way" grin.

Herald stood up!

Interesting....

Hmmmm....

It was time to up the stakes.  I stuck two fingers in each side of my mouth pulling back my lips and exposing ALL my teeth.  I was shocked when Herald ran up to me next to the glass!!!!!  The next thing I know, while I'm making this ridiculous face, Herald walks right up to me and then turns around and sticks his butt up in the air!!!! (As you can plainly see in the photo)

It was at that moment that I realized showing your teeth to monkeys may in fact mean something else entirely.
I was terrified!! My first thought was "Shoot!! I broke him!!!" I proceeded to try to act casual as I ran out of the building. (but not before posing for a photo op)

The end.

(Although no monkeys were physically harmed during the making of this memory, a certain monkey did get shut down entirely, which may have caused a slightly damaged ego and hurt feelings...)

No comments: