Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Stranger Danger!!

So I'm talking to my kids about stranger danger.  My focus is mostly on Riley at this point because the kids are learning it in school.  I figure, the best way for them to learn is through role playing, so I'm pretending to be the stranger in my car.

I'm trying to be convincing enough by saying things like "Little boy, you look familiar.. do I know you? Where do you live?? Do you want some candy??" Or saying "Hey! What is your favorite cartoon? NO WAY!! I LOVE THAT ONE!! Do you like candy? You do?! What's your favorite kind? THAT'S MINE TOO!!! Wow! !!! Hey! want to share some candy with me?"  You know.. trying to make them think about how crafty strangers can sometimes be and how they can seem like they're your friend!

Riley isn't getting to concept of role playing though....

He's getting angry with me in fact.

I keep offering him candy and I have yet to give him any even though he keeps replying "YES!!!!" whenever I ask him if he wants some.  It's worrisome... He's growing increasingly impatient.  So I thought I'd start back at square one with him.

"Riley, you NEVER take candy from strangers!  If a stranger offers you candy you say 'no, thank you' and then you run away.  If they try to grab you, you need to be really really loud, and yell "I don't know you!! You're not my daddy/mommy!! and you even have permission to hurt them if they're trying to get you!!"

Thomas pipes up  "Yeah! Kick them in the squig!" (that's what they call 'those')

Connor comes up to me and says "Yeah!!! And if the kidnapper is a girl, I'm going to punch her in THOSE things!!!!" (pointing to my chest)

I'm not sure if the whole endeavor has been a success or a failure.. It actually seems like the entire effort deserves a great big face palm.

I just really hope none of grandma's friends offer any of them candy and land themselves a mighty punch in the boob though...

*sigh

No comments: