Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving!!

Here are the pictures of Thanksgiving as promised. :)  It was all sooo yummy!  It was also a blast having it just Matt, the boys and I.  We ate at 2:00 and then it was immediately nap time. LOL  We all ended up crashing except for Matt.  Thanksgiving naps are THE BEST! It was honestly really nice being in our own home so that we were able to sleep in our own beds and just be comfy!

First The Pies!

IMAG0186

2 Pumpkin Pies! (Of course) hehe I love the stars. :)

and since Matthew doesn’t like pumpkin pie, and I would never be able to live with myself if he wasn’t able to eat a nice piece of pie Thanksgiving evening, I made him an apple!

IMAG0187

I know, it’s not very pretty… At all.. But it had a great personality!! :)

In my defense, this was my very first time making apple pie.  It tasted amazing though and skinny little Thomas ate more of it than Matt did!!! I’ll count it as a victory.  I’m going to need to make 2 pumpkin and 2 apple from now on for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hopefully the Christmas apple pie looks a little nicer. LOL

IMAG0188

The turkey.  It used to be tradition in my family growing up to name it “Tom”.  But now that my son is named Tom, it’s just not the same.  I can’t tell Matt to carve Tom!  He might carve the wrong one! :(  We’ll just name the turkey “Hank”.  Mmm.. I don’t eat turkey, and those who know me would be SHOCKED that I’ll even touch one!  But I assure you, I did it all by myself!  I even removed the neck!  It was seasoned just with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, butter and fresh herbs.  It’s so fun to do, and the smell is DIVINE!  Matt pretty much had the whole thing eaten before it even hit the kitchen table. LOL  We decided that taking into account “Carving Tax” as he calls it, we’re going to need to buy bigger turkeys.

IMAG0189

Everything homemade and from scratch! :)  We have Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Sweet Potatoes, Green Jell-o-Pear Salad, Dinner Rolls, Stuffing and Punch!

Now a story about those rolls…

IMAG0189 - Copy

I wanted to make sure the kids had a part in this Thanksgiving, so what I did while the turkey was roasting, is I interviewed each of the kids and asked them 4 things they were thankful for.  The answers I got were ADORABLE!

“I’m thankful zombies aren’t real”  … Thomas.  

“I’m thankful that mommy and daddy kill bugs” … Connor

(I had to help Riley out a little bit, but he was thankful for his Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Book and some other things.)

I was surprised when Connor said he was thankful for our home. And it made me feel really good when Thomas and Connor both said they are thankful for their brothers. :)

I even made some up for Max.  He was thankful for food that falls on the floor and toys that get left outside (he chews on them when we have him out there while we’re gone)

After I interviewed everyone, including Matt, and adding my own, I wrote all the things we are thankful for on a strip of paper, and as I made the rolls, I slid the papers into them and baked them.  When they were done, we were able to play a game while we ate dinner.  We took out the strips of paper from our rolls, read them and then tried to guess who was thankful for what.  It was the perfect touch to our fun family dinner.  I love that it accomplished exactly what I had hoped.  It would make even the little kids think about what they have.

We love family, but it’s going to be really hard to resist doing Thanksgiving by ourselves every year. LOL

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving as well!

No comments: