I know.. I know. ANOTHER post from The Mowers?? I apologize. It’s just that my house is clean, the kids are in bed, I’m not really into TV or movies much, and as I sit around trying to figure out what to do, my day plays over in my mind. My kids are my life. Matt is too, but my kids are my career as well. And there really are moments everyday that I never want to forget. So when I have time, I will always post on here, even if nothing really special happened.. To me every moment of those kids life is worth remembering. Our camera’s flash is broken and let’s face it, by the time you get the camera, the moments you wanted to capture have sometimes passed, and you missed it trying to capture it. I’m much more interested in living life until I am able to get to the point where my camera is handy enough to grab in a split second. Besides, not everything can be photographed.
So here’s another wall of text.. :)
Last night I got no sleep. I cannot get comfortable! Once I finally fell into a deep sleep, I woke up to the alarm clock BLARING. And I do mean blaring.. I think the volume was turned up all the way. I screamed and jumped up of course and Matt laughed his way across the room to turn it off. I could tell the day was going to be AWESOME! And I was right… I was so tired that everything was HILARIOUS! :)
We got ready, got the kids up and now: Riley. I seriously can’t help but laugh at him EVERY MORNING! I don’t know how or why but from the moment those tiny eyes open, he’s overjoyed by everything.. EVERYTHING! First it’s “Mom! Ook! CHOO-CHOO!” and he points to his Thomas and Friends bed sheets. I seriously need to get a recording of this one day because the inflection in his voice is unlike anything I’ve ever heard come from a little 2 year old. Then he proceeds to help everyone, including Matt and I get our shoes on. “I help you!” Then he runs out the door and climbs in the car and points out every bus, every truck, everything he sees with the same enthusiasm.
Today I was exhausted. And sad to say, but Matt and I have to kind of tune him out and just say “yeah” over and over again to maintain our sanity because if you don’t at least fake the same level of enthusiasm he feels toward the inanimate object, he takes offense and tries to share his enthusiasm by getting louder and louder. Today though, there was a short silence between Matt and I and I swear I heard him speaking Spanish. … ? And I have no idea what me might have said but it sounded like it could have been something snarky. A few minutes passed as I milled it over in my head and then I turned to Matt and asked him “Does Riley speak Spanish??” Matt immediately burst out laughing. Probably because of the randomness of the moment. But I decided then and there that Dora is going to be banned from the Mower household. I already have one person speaking a foreign language back talking me when I ask him to do something inconvenient, can you imagine a 2 year old having that same ability??
We went on with our day as usual, and before we knew it, it was time to pick up Thomas from school. That poor child.. I’m not sure what to make of him. If he comes out of the doors and doesn’t see me immediately he automatically assumes I’m not coming.. Ever.. He’s an orphan and he starts crying. Today I had to park a long way away from the “Pick Up Zone” so it took me a little bit to walk across the parking lot. He was trying to be so brave but the tears were streaming. (Ok literally, I was right on time. There were still loads of parents pulling into the parking lot after me! I was in no sense late. It’s just that I wasn’t early. Can we say “The Pressure is On!”. I felt bad for him. I know how crappy anxiety is, so I took him to go get a bug juice while we talked it over and made a plan. If I’m ever late, he will go into the office and the office will call me and I will come get him. I realize how ridiculous this plan is because it will never need to be implemented. I have alarm clocks set around the house starting an hour before school is out to remind me what time it is (See? Anxiety), but I understand the little dude and knowing exactly what to expect when the unexpected happens can make all the difference.
We picked up Matt and Connor was asleep when we got here, so I dropped Matt, Connor and Riley off and Thomas and I headed to the grocery store for some 1 on 1 time. We decided to make homemade cheesy potato soup for dinner. We came home and he helped me count out the potatoes and handed them to me as I peeled them, washed them and sliced them. He then thought it would be fun to count how many chunks of potatoes we actually put into the soup. (There were 213) Then he helped me mix things and cook things. It was so funny because I needed a match to light the burner and he told me when I was done “Mom, that makes me uncomfortable. You shouldn’t play with matches in the house.” haha!!! Then I had to explain to him that playing with matches and just using matches carefully are two VERY different things!
While we were cooking, Riley came busting in from the backyard with something between his fingers shouting “ook! ook!”. Not wanting to get whatever it was in the food I told him “Cool! Go show daddy!” (Not realizing that Matt was asleep on the couch at the time…) Next thing I know I hear “Daddy! Ook!” And Matt shout “Baaah! Take it outside!!!!”. Taking a second glance as Riley raced through the kitchen toward the door I saw it.. He had caught a grasshopper!! He was pinching it from behind so that it was facing away from him, it’s little legs just a flailing. It may have just been my imagination, but I swear I could see the most terrified little grasshopper face ever! I can’t help but laugh when I picture Matt being startled awake with a grasshopper in his face the moment he opened his eyes. heh heh heh…
After dinner the kids played outside until bedtime. It was dark out there and it reminded me of when I was little. Night time was my favorite time to be outside. It was so funny because Matt and I were in the living room and we heard HYSTERICAL laughing coming from the backyard. We could tell it was Riley but we were trying to figure out why he was laughing so hard. He was laughing so hard that I’m sure he peed his pants!! (Good thing he’s still in diapers) Matt and I went outside to see what the fuss was about and Riley was standing on the table next to the dining room window and hitting the window and Connor was inside the dining room popping up and looking at him. The boys came in and it was wrestling with daddy time. Then Kaylee started kicking so I lied down on the living room floor and the boys all put their hands on my tummy to see if they could feel her moving. Then when bedtime came, they all kissed my stomach and told her goodnight. (I know, kinda weird, but very sweet!) I went in to tuck in the boys and as I was hugging Connor he tells me: “Mommy, you can sleep in my bed for a little while if you want.” How can I resist that??
I turned out the light and crawled into bed with him. We giggled and talked about lots of things. It’s funny how his little brain works. We agreed that this winter we will be making a snow monster and we are going to color it blue and name him Harry. Just like Connor’s imaginary friend monster Harry. Then out of nowhere he asks me. “Do you want to know why we have bellies?” I said “Sure” thinking it was going to have something to do with eating. He told me “So that we can snore! See?” Then he sucked in his stomach and made a snoring sound and then puffed it out and made the exhaling sound. haha! I love those kids!!
There you have it… Just another day in the life. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment